HOW WE WORK
We want our work to meet your goals and expectations, and ultimately, to move your brand forward in a positive way. If something doesn’t look right, or isn’t working for you, we want to know. We love to collaborate with our clients so that you feel involved and comfortable with the creative direction of the project. It’s also important in the process to experiment and take creative risks. That experimentation is what can take a project to the next level.
We don’t compete on price. We are not the cheapest photographer you will find. We compete on the quality of the work and the value we bring to your project. Competing on price means quality comes secondary, and that’s not our style. We look at what we do as an investment in your product or brand, not a commodity. Not everyone who owns a decent camera is a professional.
At the end of the day, we’re here to help create great images… for you.
Our commercial photography pricing is typically composed of a creative fee for the shoot, a usage fee that is dependent on how the images will be used (see the Image Licensing section below), and any specialty equipment, supplies or other expenses necessary to complete the shoot. The creative fee is based on the number of images to be created, estimated shoot length, project deadline, complexity, location, and other factors. Depending on project specifics, we may price based on a day rate, per final image, or a flat all-inclusive project amount.
Normally, a shoot can be broken down into three core phases: planning/prep, the shoot itself, and post-processing. Often, advanced post-processing like retouching, compositing, or clipping paths are essential to polish an image and complete the original project vision. This phase is highly variable and can be just as time-intensive as the shoot itself.
- Basic image processing (white balance, brightness, color accuracy)
- Digital image capture
- Output of proofing JPEG file(s)
- Output of final deliverable file(s)
- Upload of final deliverable files to my web server
- Image retouching, composites, clipping
- Studio usage/rental cost
- Lighting, grip, equipment usage/rental cost
- Camera equipment and lens usage/rental
- Set design/construction, props
- Expendables like backdrop paper, studio supplies, etc.
- Travel, tolls, meals, parking, etc.
- Models, assistants, stylists
- Any other special equipment or materials needed
You can license our photos for usage in various commercial, corporate, and personal projects. Use of our photos is not allowed unless expressly granted. The determination of commercial or non-commercial use is based on how the image will be used or published. The determination is not based on the tax-filing status of the entity using the image nor whether or not a financial transaction takes place.
Company size also plays a role in image usage fees. For small local businesses, we typically waive the usage fee to include 1 year usage for website and social media, non-exclusive, with photo credit to JMVDIGITAL (where possible). Any other usage, including a longer duration or for use in advertising, will require an additional negotiable usage fee. Larger companies who may expose the image(s) to a large audience should expect to pay industry-standard usage fees.
Image usage fees are based on industry-standard guidelines that include the following criteria:
- Number of Images: Quantity price discounts
- Media: Print, web, television, advertising, social media, etc.
- Distribution Size: Number of copies printed, or viewing audience size
- Geography: National, regional, international, etc.
- Exclusivity: Exclusive or non-exclusive use
- Length of Use: 1 print run, 1 year, 2 years, etc.
- Prominence of Display: 1/4 page, 1/2 page, full-page, front/back cover, home page (web), interior page (web), etc.
All licensing inquiries should be sent to:
CONTRACTS & DEPOSIT
A signed agreement/contract and a non-refundable 50% deposit is required before the start of any project. The project balance must be paid in full before final delivery of the project files and any usage rights transfer is complete.